In 2019, New York City Health and Hospitals launched their new Community Health Needs Assessment. This report was one of the first in the nation to use the new Vital Conditions for Health and Well-being framework to quantify a broad-based view of community success beyond the typical disease burden view of most health-systems.
Things we like:
- Well-being framework provides a broad-based perspective of community health including environment, economic and housing factors.
- Single, system wide perspective covers and compares many diverse areas.
- Strong implementation planning effort tied to results from CHNA.
Things that could be improved:
- Improved benchmarking and context for indicators as compared to other large cities.
- Stronger focus on existing assets and strategies for reinforcing them to maintain and improve outcomes with existing successful strategies.